I am seriously time constrained this days. I promise a good post later today or tomorrow (read that: tomorrow).
In the time being the infamous unordered list of random thoughts with no connection with reality whatsoever.
- Being having musings about crisis and leadership lately. Discussed some of that with "da Boss". Food for post. Not right now, but expect it soon.
- I have hosed my system. Rendered it unusable. IT was of no help, so I did what any nerd would do. Grabbed a copy of windows 7 beta and installed it. Corporate IT should be pissed if they find out. But let's just keep it a secret for the time being. (more first impressions on Windows 7 after the end of the list)
- I am very distracted. The fact that I might become a parent any time now might have a lot to do with that. Lots of doctor appointments and stuff like that.
- Starting to feel excitement and inspiration in relation with work again. I have one person to thank. He knows who he is. He thinks he is no good at motivation. I say BS.
- I have written 5 drafts in the past 2 days. Lots of good "starting ideas", but I'm procrastinating on giving those posts the tie and attention they require.
So... what has this linux-evangelist-wannabe have to say about with Windows 7?
I'll be doomed, but I like what I see. It is still not there (it is a beta after all), but it is a good improvement from Vista and from XP. I have encountered some bugs and quircks and there are some behaviours that one should get the choice to remove alltogether (for instance all the confirmations you get when installing software!). But the OS behaves quite well, quite stable and fairly nice.
I have also noticed some stuff which might be inspired on things I've seen on Linux for a long time (look and feel, placement of user profiles, application data).
Finally I also got rid of Lotus Notes 7 and installed 8.5 beta. That is also a fairly good improvement that will make my life easier.
The only memory hog left on my system is TweetDeck. 250MB on Ram for a program that retrieves images and texts from the web is unacceptable.